- Learn with game based didactic methods.
- Applicable and practical contents.
- Results-oriented learning with revolutionary gamification technologies.
- Use the simulations for experience-based learning.
- Flexible, intuitive to use, fast and easy to train.
- An exciting gamification storyline facilitates targeted learning.
- A unique learning experience!
Effective learning – Serious Business Games | Successful HR development
In a world of digital transformation, new forms of language and communication are necessary, but also new learning and thinking structures, the characteristics of which cannot be trained in linear but only in networked learning worlds.
The fourth industrial revolution is in full progress. The digitalization of living and working environments is changing our society and thus also the way we learn. Under these conditions, effective collaboration is becoming even more process-oriented, networked and with a more holistic focus on value creation. Adequate learning and training opportunities are needed to meet these requirements. Employees should be able to choose their own learning path and speed of learning independent of time and location. Under these didactic preconditions, learning opportunities with the help of serious business games come to the spotlight.
Due to their increased use in personnel development, Serious Business Games have been an important subject of education and training for several years. In the age of digital transformation, video games have not only found their way into children’s and living rooms, but also in the area of business education the trend is moving towards computer-based learning games, so-called Gamebased Learning or Serious Business Games.
There is a broad portfolio for the topic spectrum of Serious Business Games. This ranges from simple learning games, through simulations lasting several months, to first-person shooters used in military training. The concept of computer-based learning games is based on the didactic insight that a close connection of learning and digital gamification content supports the acquisition and consolidation of knowledge and skills. This is achieved by transferring playful learning processes in a virtual environment. In contrast to traditional (non computer-based) learning games, serious business games use motivational methods from digital entertainment media and the film industry. In order to animate the training participant to learn in a special way, parasocial interactions and relationships are established between the training participant and the so-called non-personal character in the Serious Business Game.
Serious business games allow new concepts for the achievement of lifelong learning of knowledge and soft skills, because they offer the possibility to distribute existing knowledge within the company and to integrate new knowledge into the company and its processes during the business game. At the same time, serious business games offer the possibility to convey the “Know How” to all employees in a uniform way.
Serious Business Games can be used for this in different ways:
- as independent training for employees;
- as Blended Learning, preceding a training course;
- integrated into an on-site training, i.e. methodical input alternates with live training in the simulations of the Serious Business Games. Individual scenes can be discussed together and thus direct learning effects can be developed.
- live business game conventions, such as company championships, virtually decentralized or jointly on-site;
- individually designed business games for a unique business context.
The developed game-based learning method is a combination of 3 elements:
- High quality content equivalent to a two-day on-site course, with a strong practical focus that is useful and directly applicable to the work
- The use of gamification techniques in terms of story telling, ranking motivation, scoring, different learning and game levels, and incentives through recognition and awards. This makes the training a motivating and exciting learning experience. This directly promotes the intrinsic motivation to learn on your and your employees’ side.
- Practical exercises that allow you as a participant to practice directly in a safe and motivating environment and to implement the practical knowledge. You will receive detailed feedback in the form of individual learning loops.
Gamification added value
Serious Business Games
Serious Business Games are training courses and at the same time animating games, which were not developed for entertainment purposes. In technologically advanced areas, such as medicine, aviation or the military, numerous Serious Business Games have already been developed for educational purposes. In the area of business training, however, they have only been introduced in recent years.
Classroom training is complex to organize and costly to deliver. Traditional e-learning courses are not engaging and have low completion and knowledge transfer rates… More organizations are using Serious Business Games to effectively teach the important soft skills that are vital for advancement.
In the context of company training, Serious Business Games offer users numerous gamification techniques for their training, which allow them to further improve the benefits gained through the courses.
Another priority in educational games is experiential learning through the player’s handling of learning objects in simulations. Serious business games offer the user the opportunity to acquire the content either independently or in cooperation or interaction within a learning and training community. This is accompanied by an intrinsic motivation to learn, since the participant is rewarded by the momentum or positive gaming experience. The possibility to provide employees with normative knowledge in the form of “knowing that”, e.g. for the execution of individual work processes and methods, as well as the simulative implementation in the form of “knowing how” for practical application, is the special strength of this form of learning.
Game-based learning refers to the use of leveraging the inherent excitement and stickiness of a game environment as the framework for an educational course. To be effective, participants must develop real life knowledge and skills while immersed in an entertaining and addicting game. Serious Business Games are visually appealing and dynamic, they are both exciting and addicting and their use in education leads to higher learning rates and higher course completion rates that tradition “on-line” training courses.
In order to make the right decisions in everyday working life, experience is needed that can only be acquired to a limited extent through theoretical input. As a rule, they are gained in professional practice, on the one hand through daily actions and on the other hand mostly on the basis of the knowledge gained through correct or wrong decisions.
At this point, serious business games can make a special contribution: they create a risk-free space for action, in which users can try out various strategies for everyday business life in a business game. This happens for the training participants without having to bear possible negative consequences professionally, which would entail acting in reality, and they receive direct feedback about it. Serious business games thus contribute to improving the planning and decision-making behavior of individuals and groups.
The term gamification refers to the blending of immersive game-typical properties to the learning environment.
The use of gamification in education ensures that users not only learn key concepts, but also practice applying acquired knowledge in exciting real-world simulations.
The use of gamification in competence training ensures that users not only learn, but also practice the application of what they have learned by using game mechanisms on a high-performance, globally accessible learning platform.
Game-based Learning vs. E-Learning
How do you make it work? What are the IT requirements?
- The only thing you need to use this business game training is an end device with internet access.
- You can access our performance-optimised business game platform at any time, from anywhere in
the world via your individual user profile or integrate the business game training into your LMS (Cornerstone, Moodle, SAP Success Factors, etc.).
- You will receive regular reports on the progress of your participants and training groups. This allows
you to keep an overview at all times and motivate your teams in a goal-oriented manner.